Category Archives: Issues

Community issues

Revised VFD Meeting Minutes 03/18/2019

MINUTES

TRAPPER CREEK COMMUNITY COUNCIL

Trapper Creek Community Center, Milepost 115.2 George Parks Highway. Turn left on E. TC Park Circle.

 Teleconference: Locally dial 373-2663 / Participant Code 991090 or dial 907-622-2663 if not in local area

Special Meeting, 6:30 PM, Monday, March 18, 2019

 

  1. Meeting called to order 6:45 pm
  2. Determination of quorum
  3. Board Members in Attendance:  Ritenburgh, Miller, Glenka, and Morrill.  Members: Shawn Stankowitz, Jason Garrett, George Faerber, Chrystal Mayer and Dave Essex. Guest: Eric Chappel, Talkeetna Fire Chief.

Special Guests: Borough Assembly Representative Tam Boeve.

 

  1. Approval of Agenda
  2. Minutes of the February 18th Special meeting were read as approved as written
  3. Unfinished Business:

Discussion of a Fire Department in Trapper Creek:

The following is from the discussion throughout the meeting:

Response Area:

  • FSA #14 boundaries exist, but were set 20+ years ago
  • A VFD 501c3 would re-establish contiguous boundaries

Equipment Storage:

  • Warm storage is necessary
  • A potential area for storage of equipment until a new, grant-funded building could be built was the Tire Shop.  Discussion realized it is not a heated facility
  • Current EMS building (room for a 28’ engine) is a possibility with a lease option

Funding:

  • VFD – specific grants are available to possibly cover expenses
  • Could request first year startup funds (for lease…) from Mat-Su Borough
  • Being a 501c3 puts us at top of list for grant requests

Community Safety Meetings / Alternatives to Aid Suppression:

  • Defensible space could be provided by brochures
  • Proper procedure for using fire extinguishers
  • AFFF fire extinguishers contain a foam which produces a skin like covering to help cool and searing temperatures. As well as slashing the temperature, this starves a fire of oxygen and breaks the fire triangle resulting in a struggle for the blaze to stay alight.  Eric offered for Talkeetna FD to recharge (TC to pay foam).
  • Fire extinguishers can also be filled with anti-freeze solution which could put out a fire much faster
  • Jason & Chrystal could train others to certain levels
  • Road sign with burn permit info and ratings on Petersville

ISO = Insurance Service Offices:

  • Has to do with getting reduced homeowners insurance rates.
  • Contact an insurance provider for an estimated quote

Equipment Possibilities:

  • Brush truck
  • Skid unit for back of pickup truck $10-15 K
  • TKA has 1984 600 gallon 22’ truck
  • Anchorage has surplus vehicles
  • Ken Barkley is already putting aside equip., i.e. hose etc.

Next Steps:

  • Committee formed, so no more special meeting(s) are needed, only committee meetings who will then report to council until non-profit 501c3 established
  • Committee members: Jason Garrett, Chrystal Mayer, Dave Ritenburgh, Dave Thompson, Shawn Stankowitz
  • Formation of a 501c3 and selection of Board of Directors
  • A resolution by council must be submitted to MSB for approval
  • Work in conjunction with the State Fire Marshall for grant acquisition and funding, no other direction or authority
  • Decision regarding whether it will be an: interior (meet Borough standards, go to classes) vs. exterior firefighters
  1. Date of next Meeting:  Committee meets Sunday, March 31, 2019 at 6:30 pm
  1. Adjournment: 8:05

 

(Minutes taken by Council Treasurer, Paula Glenka)

Meeting Minutes 03/18/2019 (VFD special meeting)

MINUTES

TRAPPER CREEK COMMUNITY COUNCIL

Trapper Creek Community Center, Milepost 115.2 George Parks Highway. Turn left on E. TC Park Circle.

Teleconference: Locally dial 373-2663 / Participant Code 991090 or dial 907-622-2663 if not in local area

Special Meeting, 6:30 PM, Monday, March 18, 2019

 

  1. Meeting called to order 6:45 pm
  2. Determination of quorum
  3. Board Members in Attendance: Ritenburgh, Miller, Glenka, and Morrill. Members: Shawn Stankowitz, Jason Garrett, George Faerber, Chrystal Mayer and Dave Thompson Guest: Eric Chappel, Talkeetna Fire Chief.

Special Guests: Borough Assembly Representative Tam Boeve.

 

  1. Approval of Agenda
  2. Minutes of the February 18th Special meeting were read as approved as written
  3. Unfinished Business:

Discussion of a Fire Department in Trapper Creek:

The following is from the discussion throughout the meeting:

Response Area:

  • FSA #14 boundaries exist, but were set 20+ years ago
  • A VFD 501c3 would re-establish contiguous boundaries

Equipment Storage:

  • Warm storage is necessary
  • A potential area for storage of equipment until a new, grant-funded building could be built was the Tire Shop. Discussion realized it is not a heated facility
  • Current EMS building (room for a 28’ engine) is a possibility with a lease option

Funding:

  • VFD – specific grants are available to possibly cover expenses
  • Could request first year startup funds (for lease…) from Mat-Su Borough
  • Being a 501c3 puts us at top of list for grant requests

Community Safety Meetings / Alternatives to Aid Suppression:

  • Defensible space could be provided by brochures
  • Proper procedure for using fire extinguishers
  • AFFF fire extinguishers contain a foam which produces a skin like covering to help cool and searing temperatures. As well as slashing the temperature, this starves a fire of oxygen and breaks the fire triangle resulting in a struggle for the blaze to stay alight. Eric offered for Talkeetna FD to recharge (TC to pay foam).
  • Fire extinguishers can also be filled with anti-freeze solution which could put out a fire much faster
  • Jason & Chrystal could train others to certain levels
  • Road sign with burn permit info and ratings on Petersville

ISO = Insurance Service Offices:

  • Hurt/injured volunteer coverage is under 501c3
  • Contact an insurance provider for an estimated quote

Equipment Possibilities:

  • Brush truck
  • Skid unit for back of pickup truck $10-15 K
  • TKA has 1984 600 gallon 22’ truck
  • Anchorage has surplus vehicles
  • Ken Barkley is already putting aside equip., i.e. hose etc.

Next Steps:

  • Committee formed, so no more special meeting(s) are needed, only committee meetings who will then report to council until non-profit 501c3 established
  • Committee members: Jason Garrett, Chrystal Mayer, Dave Ritenburgh, Dave Thompson, Shawn Stankowitz
  • Formation of a 501c3 and selection of Board of Directors
  • A resolution by council must be submitted to MSB for approval
  • Work in conjunction with the State Fire Marshall for grant acquisition and funding, no other direction or authority
  • Decision regarding whether it will be an: interior (meet Borough standards, go to classes) vs. exterior firefighters

 

  1. Date of next Meeting: Committee meets Sunday, March 31, 2019 at 6:30 pm
  1. Adjournment: 8:05

(Minutes taken by Council Treasurer, Paula Glenka)

Special Meeting Agenda 03/18/2019

AGENDA

 

Trapper Creek Community Council

 

Trapper Creek Community Center, Milepost 115.2 George Parks Highway, turn left on E. TC Park Circle.

Teleconference is available: Locally dial 373-2663 / Participant Code 991090 or dial 907-622-2663 if not in local area.

 

Special Meeting                                                      6:30 PM                          Monday, March 18, 2019

 

I.          Call to Order

II.          Determination of Quorum

III.          Board Members in Attendance

IV.          Approval of Agenda

V.          Minutes of February Special Meeting

VI.          Unfinished Business:

  1. Discussion of a Fire Department in Trapper Creek

VII.          New Business:

  1. Establish a VFD Committee

VIII.          Date of Next Special Meeting:

IX.          Adjournment

 

Contributions of no more than $50 per member per year are accepted to meet the costs of our operations.

Special VFD Meeting 02/18/2019

MINUTES

TRAPPER CREEK COMMUNITY COUNCIL

Trapper Creek Community Center, Milepost 115.2 George Parks Highway. Turn left on E. TC Park Circle.

Teleconference: Locally dial 373-2663 / Participant Code 991090 or dial 907-622-2663 if not in local area

Special Meeting, 6:30 PM, Monday, February 18, 2019

 

  1. Special Meeting called to order 6:40 pm
  2. Determination of quorum
  3. Board Members in Attendance: Ritenburgh, Miller, Glenka, Grelson and Morrill. Members: Michelle Thompson, Debbie Filter, Cicely Rogers, Elise Dooley, Chrystal Mayer, Jason Garrett, Craig Ritenburgh, Hayden Ritenburgh, Debbie Garrett, Jeff Spotts, Tony Jurasek, Hal Morgan, Nancy Morgan, Neil DeWitt, Jeff Grelson. Guest: Eric Chappel, Talkeetna Fire Chief

Special Guests: Borough Assembly Representative Tam Boeve and Ken Barkley, MSB Acting Director of Emergency Services

  1. Approval of Agenda
  2. New Business:

Discussion of a Fire Department in Trapper Creek:

The following is from the discussion throughout the meeting:

General Comments:

  • Current State Fire Marshall is supportive of a VFD in Trapper Creek
    • MSB is supportive of a VFD in Trapper Creek
    • MSB equipment and gear donations (“retired” but functioning equipment & gear)-will be given “free and clear”-Trapper Creek responsible for all maintenance and repairs
  • Most MSB training can be attended by volunteers-free of charge- but without state certification. Certification can be obtained by paying for training. Any MSB training that requires a payment to attend will be noted as such prior to the training.

Funding:

  • VFD-specific grants are available to possibly cover expenses
  • Other grants may be available for our area from Trapper Creek’s elevated exposure due to the Spruce Beetle damage
  • Discussion regarding continued funding for: maintenance, building upkeep, etc.
  • Potential source of $$ from a CAP/Revenue Share project: CAP was cut from MSB budget-only FY2018 & FY2019 grants remain
  • Possible funding for storage building: Community Development Block Grant- given annually

Staffing:

  • All volunteer labor-no stipends for service
  • Number needed for a call: minimum of 5 for an exterior building fire, more for going inside a building
  • Hurt/injured volunteer coverage is under 501c3

Equipment Storage:

  • Warm storage is necessary
  • Possible areas for storage of equipment until a new, grant-funded building could be built
  • Current EMS building (only room for a 28’ engine)
  • Bus Barn-does not have any bays available
  • Original EMS building-not big enough

Response Area:

  • FSA #14 boundaries exist, but were set 20+ years ago
  • A VFD 501c3 is able to set/expand a realistic potential response area

Next Steps:

  • Additional special meeting(s) are needed
  • Committee formation to pursue grants and other additional information
  • Formation of a 501c3 and selection of Board of Directors
  • A resolution must be submitted to MSB for approval
  • Work in conjunction with the State Fire Marshall for grant acquisition and funding, no other direction or authority
  • Decision must be made regarding whether it will be an: interior (meet Borough standards, go to classes) vs. exterior firefighters
  • Information table at Cabin Fever Reliever –VFD information, volunteer information
  1. Community Safety Meetings re: Defensible Space are needed
  2. Expired Smoke Detectors and CO2 Detectors:
    • Smoke detectors expire after 10 years
    • Red Cross in Wasilla can replace expired smoke detectors
    • Red Cross contact information will be passed on to the Community when received
  3. Date of next Special Meeting: Monday, March 18, 2019
  4. Adjournment: 7:58 pm

(Minutes taken by Council Secretary, Janet Grelson)

Meeting Minutes 6/28/2015

COUNCIL MEETING MINUTES

Community Park Building

Milepost 115.2 George Parks Highway, turn left on TC Park Circle

General/Special Meeting            6:30 PM

Thursday, June 28, 2015

 

I.         Meeting called to order 6:39 pm.

II.        Board Members in Attendance: Miller, Grelson Kolbeck and Glenka. Members present: Shawn and Jennifer Stankowitz, Randolph Killian, John Glenka, Klaus Lerch, Martin and Diane Bee, Laura DeRungs, Ken and Peggy Marsh, Angela Parsons, Lon McCullough and Kristie Parsons.

III.       Agenda approved. Parsons objects to two Council members not stepping aside due to their being somewhat closely tied to the issue.

IV.      Public Forum: Open discussion on the proposed gravel pit issue.

Concerns:

Parsons previous practices

Road access

Hours of operation

Noise pollution

Proper engineering

Potential of expansion of operation (Rock Crusher and Asphalt Plant)

Water contamination

Crossing of the stream

Wetland crossing at the existing ADL (secondary access)

The effect on local business and property values

What will happen to the over burden

Access road being close to the stream

Development of the lot closer to the road

 

Straw poll of gravel pit opposition: 8 opposed to pit, 3 in favor of pit, 2 abstained

Discussion of the talking points that will be brought forth by a Council representative as public comment to the Borough at the Planning meeting July 6th in Palmer.

Motion by Grelson to accept the talking points discussed at the meeting, seconded by Diane Bee. Motion passed unanimously.

V.       Meeting adjourned at 9:05 pm

(Minutes taken by Council Secretary, Levi Miller)

 

Trapper Creek Community Council

PO Box 13021, Trapper Creek, AK 99683-0321 (907) 733-7370 Teleconference